You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Monday, May 2, 2011

54mm Qwik: Strapping man

To give all the figures a more hodge-podge apocalyptic look, I think I'll work on them one at a time. This will make the project go longer, but it will also help me to concentrate on one figure at a time.
WORKING WITH THE STRAPS IS EASIER IF YOU GLUE ONE END DOWN FIRST;
THEN YOU WILL HAVE ONLY ONE FIDDLY END TO DEAL WITH AT A TIME.
Here, you can see I've added some straps to hold the armor together, and to hold the facemask on. I didn't have any old toothpaste tubes, but I did have this old Neosporin tube. All you need is an Exacto knife and a steady hand (or a straight edge.) It works really well!

WHEN YOU HAVE THE LOOSE END FITTED, SNIP OFF A BIT SO THAT
 IT WILL FIT FLUSH (THOUGH, YOU CAN ADD THINGS SUCH AS
BUCKLES OR RIVETS TO COVER UP WHERE TWO STRAPS MEET.)
The armor came out a little thick on this figure, making him look a bit larger than he should be; then again, he IS a hero of the wasteland, so there's nothing wrong with a bit of extra size. The armor is still a little too "clean" for my taste, so I think I will "wasteland" it up by adding some tatters of clothing, rags, ribbons or other random assortments of old fabric (using greenstuff.)

The weapon has a typical setup for the Driver (one of the player positions for Jugger/Qwik.) The back end (harder to see) with the wheel disk is the "driving" end, and the scythe-like blade is the "sweeping" end. I don't have plans for a "sweeping" end to all of my driver's weapons, but there'll be enough to give a general idea.

On this figure, I still have to do the backside loin cloth, a pair of boots/(with shinguards), maybe some arm bracers, a belt, a few more straps, and those aformentioned tattered rags hanging from the armor. But it's already been a long morning (and a long celebratory night with the bin Laden news,) so I'm going to have myself a little siesta, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment