You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Monday, June 22, 2009

Compromise Kjell


So, I DID like the monochromatic result, but I still wanted this Kjell to fit in with the other minis, so I decided to repaint. BUT, instead of repainting, I hit upon an idea: Instead of simply stripping and repainting or painting straight over the current paint job, I decided to glaze the whole figure. Glazing is taking watered down paint and applying a bunch of thin coats over the figure, one at a time.
I'm happy with the result. The colors are a bit washed out, so the figure holds an aura of "oldness" to it. I'm may try this technique again sometime.
The grass on the base needs a new color- I'll probably brown it up to make it dead grass.
Quick note: I'll have to post another pic later (after I've added some matte varnish.) There's still some sheen coming off the glazes (and a couple washes.) (oops, and I should rehighlight the teeth on the necklace, too.) Ahh, things you see in a photo that you can't see in front of your own eyes; I'm sure I'll find more :)

1 comment:

  1. Hat's off to an awesome paint job (both versions!). The glazes are really effective. I’ll have to give this technique a go myself.

    ReplyDelete